Social Work - preparatory semester - 2. semester
|Lecturer in charge||Consultations||Location|
|prof. dr. sc. Josip Kregar||
Tuesdays 2 pm
|Trg Republike Hrvatske 3, room 16/I|
|doc. dr. sc. Antonija Petričušić (Lectures)||
Tuesdays from 12 am - 1 pm
|Trg Republike Hrvatske 3, room 305/III|
|Kregar, J., Gardašević, Đ., Gotovac, V., Jelić, I., Jurić, M., Ofak, L., Petričušić, A., Selanec, G., Staničić, F.; Ljudska prava; Pravni fakultet Sveučilišta u Zagrebu (2014), str. 142|
|Gomien, D.; Kratak vodič kroz Europsku konvenciju o ljudskim pravima; Vijeće Europe (1996), str. 175|
b. Division of subject in three basic units:
- Conceptual fundamentals of human rights ( 2 lectures)
1. Roots of the concept " human rights " Legal-philosophic and theoretic roots of human rights. Greek political philosophy: isonomia and democratia. Natural law teaching. Philosophic foundation ( I. Kant). Liberal political philosophy ( J. Locke, J.S. Mill, J.J. Roeuseau, B. Constant).
American designers of constitution ( T. Paine, Federalist papers, T. Jefferson). Recent interpretation (H. Arendt, I. Berlin, R.Dworkin, J. Rowls).
2. What are human rights and why is it about right? Distinguishing types of human rights. Relation between human rights and the concept of law (Rowls, Dworkin, Hart). Historical circumstances of first documents and legal-theoretical foundation of these acts. Positive law and human rights. Universalism and specific cultural features of human rights. Tendencies of positivisation, univesalization and establishing of application instruments. Citizen s and political rights, economic and social rights. Third generation rights. To what extent is it correct to distinguish the rights according to "generations".
- Basic principles and documents ( 3 lectures)
1. Establishing international human rights standards. Democracy and human rights. Legitimization of system and human rights ( rule of law). Non-democratic systems and human rights protection. Concept of rights and socio-cultural values. Cultural diversity, identities and ideological diversity ( western tradition, Islam, developing countries / debtor countries and globalization, protection of minorities: religion, gender, sex, age / universalism and relativism). Monitoring and measuring the level of human rights respect and European integration.
2. Target, contents and structure of main documents. Main documents on human rights - lists of rights and protection mechanisms. Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations Charter, Universal Declaration of Human and Civil Rights, ECHR, European Social Charter, Draft of European Constitution. European system and documents. Reports on human rights. Regional protection mechanisms. Globalization processes, list enlargement and protection institution.
3. Institutions and practice of international institutions for human rights protection. UN Human Rights Commission: foundations and practice, Commission for Discrimination Prevention, High Commissioner for Human Rights, ECOSOC, UN Commission for Women s Rights. European Council: main institutions. European Commission and human rights protection, European Court for Human Rights: establishing, development, judiciary practice and new competences. Venetian Commission. Procedure pursuant to European Social Charter.
- Basic human rights- legal regulations and practice ( 5 lectures and 3 workshops)
1. Basic rights: rights and their restrictions. List of rights and restrictive mechanisms: necessary in democratic society, legal regulation, proportionality. Strict interpretation of restrictions. Targets of restrictions and enlarged interpretation practice.
2. Basic political human rights. Rights of vote, right to fair trial, good governance. Freedom of thought, speech, association and other political rights. Property rights. Right to information.
3. Right to respect of home, privacy, equality of spouses. Right to education. Discrimination prohibition. Equality of gender. Children s rights.
4. Economic social rights: origin, development and enlargement. Relation to other types of human rights. New technologies and human rights. International documents on social rights. Status of persons with special needs. Environmental protection, new medical technologies, bioethics and human rights
5. Procedure of the International Court for Human Rights : judicial practice and international standards.
- Workshops (practice) Reports on status of human rights, report the case to the court, cases of violation.
Final topics: Human rights in the Republic of Croatia: status, proposals, commitments, reports, adoption of international standards.
Copyright 2018 - Pravni fakultet, Sveučilište u Zagrebu, sva prava pridržana.