Dr. Vanja-Ivan Savić is a Croatian lawyer. He graduated from University of Zagreb Faculty of Law cum laude, where he obtained his first law degree. Later he obtained Master of Science in Law Degree and Ph.D. at the same University. He was a British Chevening Scholar at The University of Edinburgh in 2005. As a researcher he worked as International Fellow at DePaul University’s International Human Rights Law Institute in Chicago in 2010. His area of expertise includes Legal Theory, Theory of Law and State, Corporate Criminal Law, Law and Religion and International Human Rights. Legal Theory and Law and Religion are of his primary interest and in that respect he participated at many lectures and conferences held in Croatia and abroad. He attended Harvard University Law School’s Program of Instruction for Lawyers and later conference held at their Islamic Legal Studies Program. He also participated at many law and religion themed conferences: Cracow, Poland; Cluj-Napoca, Romania; Zagreb, Croatia and London, UK. In 2013 he was Visiting Research Associate at the University of Adelaide Research Unit for the Study of Society, Law and Religion. Currently he holds positions of Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law at the University of Zagreb and Visiting Scholar at Northwestern University’s Buffett Center for International and Comparative Studies where he conducts research connected with law, religion and cohabitation in complex religious and ethnic societies. Dr. Savić’s papers were published in Croatian and English in numerous publications in Croatia and abroad and one article was translated into Vietnamese. Dr. Savić is interested to promote Law and Religion as a discipline in his home county Croatia and to explore how Religion interferes with Law and with functioning of the State, especially how it can shape governing structures within Political Systems. He speaks English and French and uses Spanish and is also familiar with Arabic and Hebrew letters. He earned Bar Exam Certificate.
Published papers recorded in the Croatian Scientific Bibliography Database (CROSBI)
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Understanding Criminal Liability of Juristic Persons
Zagreb : Pravni fakultet u Zagrebu, 2013 (monograph).
Law, Religion and Love: Seeking Ecumenical Justice for the Other
/ Savić, Vanja-Ivan, Babie, Paul, editor(s).
London : Routlegde, 2018 (proceedings).
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan; Babie, Paul. Law’s Love // ‘Law, Religion and Love: Seeking Ecumenical Justice for the Other’ / Savić, Vanja-Ivan ; Babie, Paul, editor(s).
London : Routledge, 2018.
2. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Book Review: Leiter, Brian. Why Tolerate Religion? // Europski seklularni identiteti / Špehar, Hrvoje, editor(s).
Zagreb : Biblioteka politička misao, Fakultet političkih znanosti, 2015.
3. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. The Attitude of Zagreb Law School Students towards European and International Law // "Poznavanje i vrijednosno prihvaćanje europskog i međunarodnog prava u Republici Hrvatskoj" - zbornik radova znanstvenog projekta / Urednik izdanja: Šimonović, Ivan ; Izvršna urednica: Preložnjak, Barbara, editor(s).
Zagreb : Pravni fakultet Sveučilišta u Zagrebu, 2012.
4. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Liability of Corporations for Criminal Acts Against Free Market Competition // Liber Amicorum Zvonimir Šeparović, od kaznenog prava do viktimologije / Ksenija Turković, editor(s).
Zagreb : Pravni fakultet u Zagrebu, 2009.
5. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Theoretical Models for Applying Criminal Liability towards Companies // Zbornik radova Zaklade Zlatko Crnić / Momčinović, Hrvoje, editor(s).
Zagreb : Organizator d.o.o., 2008..
Scientific papers in other journals
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Lex Talionis in Jewish Law: Supplement to the teachings on the meaning of punishment in Croatian legal theory. // Godišnjak Akademije pravnih znanosti Hrvatske. Vol. IX. (2018) , I.; 65-85 (journal article).
2. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Still Fighting God in the Public Arena: Does Europe Pursue the Separation of Religion and State Too Devoutly or Is It Saying It Does Without Really Meaning It?. // BYU Law Review. 2015 (2015) , 3; 679-726 (journal article).
3. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Architecture and Law: Lawgivers of the US Supreme Court – So, Where is Jesus?. // Ecclesiastical Law Journal, Cambridge University Press. 17 (2015) , 3; 341-347 (journal article).
4. Savić, Vanja-Ivan; Mažuranić, Ana. Some views on the Relationships Between the Catholic Church and the State during the Rule of Viceroy Ivan Mažuranić and Today. // Godišnjak Akademije pravnih znanosti Hrvatske - Croatian Academy of legal sciences yearbook. VI (2015) , 1; 41-62 (journal article).
5. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Juristic Persons in Islamic Law. // Ljetopis Akademije pravnih znanosti Hrvatske. 4 (2013) , 2; 177-188 (preliminary note).
6. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Exportation of the Idea of Criminal Corporation to Central and Southeast Europe: Absorbing is Done, Try to Squeeze the Spirit. // Columbia Journal of European Law-Online. 19 (2012) , 30; (journal article).
7. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Ethnicity and Religion in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Peace v Human Rights, An Never ending Story?. // Europolis, Journal for Political Analysis and Theory. 6 (2012) , 2; 145-161 (journal article).
8. Savić, Vanja-Ivan; Matijević, Marija. Are We Going the Same Way? American and European Perspectives in Fighting Corruption. // Pravnik : časopis za pravna i društvena pitanja. 45 (2012) , 90; 50-65 (review article).
9. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Criminal Liability of Corporations and Criminal Activities connected with Labor Law Issues. // Radno pravo. 7-8 (2011) , 11; 72-79 (review article).
10. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Concept of Autonomous Liability of Legal Person and its Application in Criminal Law. // Godišnjak Akademije pravnih znanosti Hrvatske. 2 (2011) , 1; 41-67 (journal article).
11. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Responsibility in the Cockpit or Downtown? How Legal Theory Determines if an Airline Is to be Treated as a Criminal. // Issues in Aviation Law and Policy. 11 (2011) , 1; 149-169 (journal article).
12. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Criminal Liability of Corporations in the System of General Theory of Law and Analysis of Alschuler's Theory. // Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu. 60 (2011) , 6; 1949-1974 (journal article).
13. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. How can the Corporation become a Criminal?-Analyzing the Paths towards Corporate Criminal Liability. // IHRLI Review. 1 (2010) , 1; 1-18 (journal article).
Nonscientific papers in other journals
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. On Nigeria (Where EU’s views end?), Commentary. // Europske Studije. 1 (2015) , 1; 243-246 (comment).
2. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Katubah in Jewish Law. // Revija za socijalnu politiku. 22 (2015) , 2; 247-257 (journal article).
3. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Hans Kelsen-35 years from departure of one extraordinary jurist. // Ha-kol : glasilo židovske zajednice u Hrvatskoj. 192 (2008) ; 50-52.
4. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Conference Overview: "V. International Conference on Islamic Legal Studies-Lawful and Unlawful Violence in Islamic Law and History", Harvard University, September, 2006.. // Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu. 57 (2007) , 3; 665-667.
Scientific conference papers with international peer-review
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan; Fajković, Hana. Asbestos as Environmental and Legal Issue // International Seminar on Recent Trends in teaching and research in International Law And International Seminar on Law of the Sea / Rahmatullah, Khan, editor(s).
New Delhi, India : Indian Society of International Law, 2007. 213-230 (lecture,international peer-review,published,scientific).
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Application of Theoretical Models of Criminal Liability in Croatian and Comparative Law / doctoral thesis.
Zagreb : Pravni fakultet, 28.4. 2011.,
470 pages. Mentor: Derenčinović, Davor.
1. Savić, Vanja-Ivan. Fundamental questions of Liability of Juristic Persons for Criminal Offences and Finding the Responsible Person Within Corporate Body / pre-Bologna master thesis.
Zagreb : Pravni fakultet u Zagrebu, 20.06. 2007.,
181 pages. Mentor: Petrović, Siniša.
Copyright 2018 - Pravni fakultet, Sveučilište u Zagrebu, sva prava pridržana.