1. Fundamental principles, general themes and object of Constitutional Law. Methods in studying Constitutional Law. Sources of Constitutional Law.
2. Development of constitutionality. Constitutionality in the 19th and 20th century. Constitutional revision. Development of Croatian constitutionality.
3. Protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms: personal, political, economic, social and cultural. Protection of human rights under the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia and in the Council of Europe.
4. Principle of constitutionality and legality, its protection and oversight. American and European system of constitutionality review. Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia.
5. Foundations of state power and the electoral system. Theories of sovereignty. Electoral systems, theory and practice of representation. Electoral law in the Republic of Croatia.
6. The system of government. Division of power. Structure and function of the executive, judiciary and legislature. Presidential government. Parliamentary government. Semi-presidential system. Concentration of power and the assembly system.
7. Structure of government in the Republic of Croatia under the 1990 Constitution – semi-presidential system. Structure of government in the Republic of Croatia under the constitutional amendments of 2000 and 2001 – parliamentary system.
8. Compound states and unions of states.
9. Constitutional regulation of international relations.
- The Constitution of the Republic of Croatia, Novi informator, Zagreb, 2010
- Branko Smerdel, Republic of Croatia, in: Constitutional Law of the EU Member States (Besselink, L.; Bovend Eert, P.; Broeksteeg, H.; De Lange, R.; Voermans, W. - eds.), Kluwer, 2014; 191-248
- Branko Smerdel, Basic characteristics of the constitutional order of the Republic of Croatia on the twentieth anniversary of the "Christmas Constitution", in: The Constitution of the Republic of Croatia, Novi informator, Zagreb, 2010; 83-171
- Branko Smerdel, Central European Democratic Transition: The Paradigm of a Constitutional Revolution, in: Basta Fleiner, Lidija; Marinković, T. (eds.), Key Developments in Constitutionalism and Constitutional Law, Eleven International Publishing, Hague, 2014; 51-62
- Branko Smerdel, Design and operation of the "hybrid" presidency - evaluation of the power sharing in the Croatian top executive, 65 Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Collected papers of Zagreb Faculty of Law) 2 (2015) 181
- Branko Smerdel, In quest of a doctrine: Croatian constitutional identity in the European Union, 64 Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Collected papers of Zagreb Faculty of Law) 4 (2014) 513
- Besselink, L.; Bovend Eert, P.; Broeksteeg, H.; De Lange, R.; Voermans, W. (eds.), Constitutional Law of the EU Member States, Kluwer, 2014
- Fleiner, T.; Basta Fleiner, L. R., Constitutional Democracy in a Multicultural and Globalised World, Springer, 2009